Mar 2, 2013

A Gal's Promises Worth To Be Taken

I am a blogger and I love reading people's blogs. Sometimes I stumble upon interesting blogs, at times I stumble upon people who share their real personal stories, heartfelt feelings, complaints, opinions, plans, resolutions, determinations, dreams ... all sort of writings.

Last night I did my usual browsing, and read these personal promises from a blogger to her bf or future bf or betterhalf. So let me copy and paste.

1. I promise to make your growth my goal, and relate to you with sincerity and purity.
2. I promise to build close friendships with a group of you and not make any exclusive.
3. I promise to not be emotionally dependent on you but be honest and open in sharing with you about my life.
4. I promise to not feel jealous when you are closer to other girls than to me,and i will not try to intentionally make myself special to you/make you like me despite my desire to feel valued and special to someone.
5. I promise to put God in the center of our friendship,i will not try to leave you a good impression of me by holding back from speaking up when i see your life off track because i want you to love God more not love me more.
6. I promise to not give any misleading signals and if I do anything inappropriate, I give you the permission to correct me in love and tell me what I need to hear even though I may not necessarily like it. :)
7. I promise to humbly receive help when you are being the gentleman God has called you to be, but also to be responsible to carry my own load and not take advantage in any way.
8. I promise to be a life-long learner so that conversations with me may add value to you in any tiny way possible.
9. I promise to not flirt with you in any way(if im ever capable to),whether is it laughing at unfunny jokes,or paying special attention to you and leading you on. Again, please be brutally honest with me if you have to in my inappropriate moments!
10. Lastly, i promise to not expect you to be exactly like (ahem) Edward Cullen/Josh Hartnett but I will learn to appreciate your own unique strengths!

Pretty cool isn't it? If you make those promises to me I don't mind marrying you. I think they are pretty solid commitments and resolutions, healthy and crucial in pursuing a God-honouring relationship yet not at the expense of the excitement one can look forward in a relationship. Being random here, but let me echo this post with some quotes regarding marriage from a book that I am currently reading.

God made the woman from a rib taken out of the man's side. Perhaps this was because she belongs at his side as an intimate equal and not in front of him as feminism would teach or behind him as chauvinism would teach. God said it best: "It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him." Thus, anyone who tells his or her spouse, "I don't need you" is in fact calling God a liar. ~ Mark Driscoll in Real Marriage

Marriage is more than your love for each other. It has higher dignity and power, for it is God's holy ordinance, through which he wills to perpetuate the human race till the end of time. In your love you see only your two selves in the world, but in marriage you are a link in the chain of the generations, which God cause to come and to pass away to his glory, and calls into his kingdom. In your love, you see only the heaven of your own happiness, but in marriage you are placed at a post responsibility towards the world and mankind. Your love is your own private possession, but marriage is more than something personal - it is a status, an office. Just as it is the crown, and not merely the will to rule, that makes the king, so it is marriage, and not merely your love for each other, that joins you together in the sight of God and man. ~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer - Pastor, Theologian and Martyr, a letter written in his prison cell in Nazi Germany. 

True friendship involves healthy conflict and hard discussions as God reveals sin and repentance, and reconciliation takes place. ~ Mark Driscoll in Real Marriage 

No comments: