Mar 13, 2009

Wisdom and Folly

Proverbs 7 basically is once again, warning against adulteress. An example is clearly provided where a prostitute is trying to seduce a youth who lacked judgment. It is said that persuasive words led him astray... all at once he followed her like an ox going to the slaughter, like a deer stepping into a noose.... till an arrow pierces his liver, like a bird darting into a snare, little knowing it will cost him his life. Vs 21-23. Looking at the trend of the world at this moment, premarital sex, adulteress and random sex have been deeply rooted in our society telling the whole world that IT'S OK! Sex is enticing, very. The physical attraction between man and woman is far beyond measurement. Surveys found out that men think about sex (from time to time). Lust has been a major killer, and often, the finger is pointed at the women. Why do you want to wear in such a exposing and expressive way? You make me feel crazy. You are the source of my lustful thoughts. It's your fault! Guys will often deny and keep themselves blameless. On the other hand, women will say," Who ask you to look at me with lustful eyes? What's wrong with my dressing? Can't I have my freedom? Watch your steps man!"

The argument goes on. The cornerstone of the matter is, who is to blame for causing us to stumble? The answer is I, me and myself. Ponder upon God, seek His face and He will give us life. Seek His wisdom and fear Him, for the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. Only by His grace, we can be saved. Seek His strength to cover us, to grant us the strength in overcoming all our weaknesses, with a humble heart, nothing is impossible.

Proverbs 8-10 talk about the importance of wisdom. Proverbs 10:12 says, "Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers over all wrongs." Recently I read about this particular testimony shared by a sister about the disagreement and misunderstanding between her parents which almost leads to break up. At the eleventh hour, God came to the rescue. Her mom came to know about God and since then, her life totally changed. It's love that covers up everything. It is love that leads to peace through forgiveness. She forgave her husband. Since then, her parents' relationship gradually healed. LOVE surpasses our understanding and knowledge. It is not what discussion, compensation, compromise, gift or any other things can bring about. Apparently, love is the key solution to vast problems in relationships. The simple philosophy is, love brings and binds people together, so love sustains everything. By taking a step back, utter a simple sorry and confession, control our nerve and emotion, it will be a breeze to solve all dissensions that have stirred up. Undeniably, it is always easier said than done. But with wisdom, impossible is nothing.

Tonight, as usual, I attended my badminton session at UQ. My Singaporean friend introduced me to his old friend. "Why not we have a game with him together later since both of you represented your high school in Singapore? Is he good?" I asked my friend. Unexpected, my friend shrugged me off. "I wont comment anything about him, you will know when you see him playing. He is my friend." My friend replied me.
Although it's just a short conversation, but I can see the wisdom my friend possesses. He is wise and has very good judgment. His refusal to comment about his old friend made him a man with wisdom, because he knows the word of God and he has applied it in his life!

In the past, a simple conversation with my friends will simply end up in gossiping. I can gossip about everything, from his great grandfather's business until his grandson's studies. I bragged and boasted. Apparently, that is another shameful piece of me in the past. Recalling back, I was wicked, especially in pursuing my desires and wants. I was competitive. I scared of losing. I sought for attention. I wanted praises. I was proud. I was self-centered. I wanted to be outstanding, to be better than others, to be a hero. I acted as Jekyll and Hyde. I was a masked man. You will never understand me and it will be your RED Letter day if you go against me. Woo! Am I horrible? Since deepening my walk with God, I see the changes, and I see the need to change. How many times I have sinned against Him, doing things unpleasing to His eyes, and shut the door off from God. I am not who I am. Who am I? I want to be different, an apple to His eyes, and a man of God. The bible says, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Mathew 19:26. I am called to be the light and salt of the world, but what a rotten tomato I have been. I need renewal, I need to be revised, I need reformation and transformation. Gone is the old Sing Hoe, awaiting is a new life ahead for He has answered my call, and forgiven my sins.

This is my prayer:
Heavenly Father, may you show me the way and grant me the wisdom so that I can be wise in my all doings. Teach me your words Lord and destroy my wicked lips. No gossiping, no slandering. May your words be deeply rooted in my life and I will find the joy and excitement in my walk with you. Amen!

No comments: