Feb 19, 2009

Proverbs 1:1-19

This is the proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel. The Book of Proverbs is a collection of moral and religious teachings in the form of sayings and proverbs. Much of it has to do with practical, everyday concerns. It begins with the reminder that "To have knowledge, you must first have reverence for the LORD" (1.7), and then goes on to deal with matters not only of religious morality, but also of common sense and good manners. Its many short sayings reveal the insights of ancient Israelite teachers about what a wise person will do in certain situations. Some of these concern family relations, others business dealings. Some deal with matters of etiquette in social relationships, and others with the need for self-control. Much is said about qualities as humility, patience, respect for the poor, and loyalty to friends. (source: http://www.apronus.com/theology/bible_proverbs.htm)

In this Chapter, we especially Christians are constantly reminded to live in justice. We need to learn to observe and understand words of insight so that we will not be easily fooled or misled by others. We are advised to be wise, listen more and talk less. As the saying goes, empty vessels make the most noise. Those who are able to discern and contemplate will be able to understand proverbs, parables and even riddles. The fool will be the one who talks unceasingly yet pointlessly, and being blind with no standing, being easily lured and fooled. The bible says that the fear of the lord is the beginning of knowledge, which means when we fear God as in He is superior to us and deep in our heart we respect Him to be the creator of this world, the alpha and omega and many more titles crowned on Him. God will grant us the wisdom, knowledge and acumen to be a wise man of God. On the other hand, the fools look down and despise wisdom and discipline.

Besides, we ought to obey our father’s instruction and mom’s teachings. It’s not saying that whatever commandments from our parents are right and just. As long as their teachings are right and harmless, we are advised to follow. But remember to put God in the first place as our first love. Subsequently, if sinners try to entice us, we must stand firm with what we are holding on to, and never give in. Sometimes it is just too enticing especially when one is after wealth and gold. For example, bribery and under-table money. Something which is extremely enticing and lucrative yet so sinful. Have you ever involved in something sinful due to your own negligence or after being lured by others? Do you feel guilt over it? We are told that the end of the wicked is death. Those whose heart pursuing after ill-gotten gain will lose his life. I would like to share with you my personal experience. It happened during my year back in Inti College, Malaysia. It was this particular Maths Examination where I tried to cheat as I was not fully prepared. It weighed 15% of my semester grade and I just couldn't solve the very 1st part of the question. Which means – Die as I will not be able to answer the subsequent parts of the question. In wilderness, I turned my head around hoping that I might just “glimpse” at an answer to help me sail through the test. Too bad or perhaps I should say thank God that my lecturer who was standing in front realized! I was telling myself that I gonna flop this exam or even being suspended! The lecturer is a christian as well that made me feel even more shameful and guilty. I was feeling so bad. In the end, the lecturer allowed me to continue to take my test but the top student besides me was being asked to shifted to another table. He was in a cloud of smoke as he did not know what on earth was happening. Since that incident, I sent a message to my lecturer for being so sorry and I believe that God was telling me something. My boy, do your best and walk in the path of just and righteousness. The outcome will be the effort you have poured in. It was a big lesson for me.Where is my testimony as a christian? Ok, that’s about me and myself. Haha. Hope you guys learn not to cheat or be the accomplice.

In short, Proverbs chapter 1 versus 1-19 reminds us to be a wise man, uphold justice and be a man of God. Fear him as the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge. Be responsible for our action and doings. Take the right path and love righteousness.

No comments: