Feb 20, 2009

Proverbs 1:20-33

In previous post, I shared about the importance of fearing God for who he is and be a wise man. Again, in the second part of Proverbs chapter 1, it reminds us of our complacency. Our complacency can actually be a disaster to us and presumably the people around us. We have been constantly reminded to be a knowledgeable person for the fools will destroy us. Well, sometimes we may think that I don’t really trust God can sail me through everything and we tend to depend on our own capability and strength in pursuing something. For example, our studies. Sometimes we may think that, I do well in my subjects because I am clever you know, and I have been revising my homework from time to time. Well, our effort does count but ultimately, everything is in God’s hand. He will give us a mark according to how far we deserve. Very often, I tend to feel jealous for the top students especially those non- Christians. I felt jealous and complained to God how come I laid my 100% trust in you and have been working hard, but my grade is still not as good as them. In the end, I found the key to the answer and have been convincing myself that everything is in God’s hand. He may not give us everything at this moment, but perhaps in the future in our other endeavours. It sounds more like as Christians, we tend to constantly negotiate with God in all the particulars in our daily life. Have we been too demanding?
Throughout this second part of Proverbs, we are told that many of us we remember God only when disaster strikes, calamity overtakes us or when we face challenges and troubles. In that sense, we must not hope for something better or help at once from God. The core issue is we may treat God as an object to achieve something. When we sail on smoothly, we just tend to leave God behind. Therefore, a close relationship with God is extremely important. As the psalmist says, as the deer pants for the water, so my heart pants for you. Prayer is a free give yet the most powerful weapon all Christians are entitled to. It’s free! The only thing is our willingness to spend some quiet moments with God. Share with God whatever things we want, he will listen.
Proverbs also tells us that whoever listens to God will live in safety and be at ease, without fear of harm. Amen! That is the the promise from God that whoever obey his commandments will be blessed.
It’s time for us to learn not to be calculative with God, not to be too demanding although the passion and the zest for something are important to keep us rolling on. Learn to be faithful and be patient with God. We will discover the hidden blessings from him. His love is all around! Amen!

No comments: