Dec 16, 2011

Contentment in God


Contentment is not about having everything, but to have God in everything. ~ J.K.2011. 

Tonight was the first ever church service I had on a Friday evening, except those special occasions such as Christmas, Easter or Good Friday. I thank God for the opportunity to step into the Ablaze Service and be part of her. It has been on my mind for long, wanting to pay her a visit - to have a taste of different worship environment, congregation, culture, setting, style but the same God. It was awesome. 

As I was preparing myself for the service, a word was embedded vividly in my heart - Contentment. I was reminded again about finding satisfaction in God during the worship and amazingly, the first key point of the sermon was about Divine Discontent. That's the reason for penning this down. 

What is satisfaction? What does contentment mean? The worldly context and the godly context - there is distinct difference. 

I have been searching; I have been aiming and setting goals. I have things that I desire, or sometimes I wish I can possess all at once. Some are far fetching, some are just not realistic. Perhaps fame, skills, wealth, recognition, power, influence, life security, relationship, etc. I guess everyone has something in mind that one wishes to attain, if not to possess. I love to observe. As a result, I often made statements - "I wish I can have ..." 

Martin Luther once said, "I have held many things in my hands, and have lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess." 

Knowing God marked the process of finding my contentment and satisfaction towards this life. What can this world offer comparable with that insight into spiritual things. Everything on and in this world is temporary and will pass away. I am reminded to fix my eyes on the things unseen. I am reminded that I can't add a single hour to my life by worrying. I want to accommodate myself heavenward, knowing that running after this world is perpetually exhausting, for one will never have enough. Only God can satisfy the craving of our soul. In everyone's heart, there is a God-shaped hole. Only the Creator can fill in. 

So Lord, teach me that in my self I find insufficiency and no rest, but in Christ there is satisfaction and peace. 

To have nothing, is to possess all. Teach me when and what to hold loosely, and when and what to hold tightly. I don't want to waste my life catching the wind and shadow.  

I am Yours - Love Came Down. 

O Lord, hasten that day.  

No comments: