Dec 18, 2012

Hope in the Cross, Faith in the Unseen


I had a quick catch up with a friend today about updates in life. I can somehow feel the bursting desperation in waiting for a clear path and direction in life. It's true that the reality is that we are still human beings, we want instant answers, instant provisions, instant directions etc. In the midst of it we lose our patience easily because we are desperate, we are yelling out. We want to be informed, we want to know beforehand, we want a clear view, we want something smooth and straight forward; we dislike uncertainty, we dislike waiting, we dislike to feel unsecured. Gamut of emotions, facets of life. It is easy to know the Scripture, tough to live out what the Scripture teaches us especially when circumstances are not favourable, situations are not in our control, and when we are desperate for something.

While driving home from work, the phrase "hope to the hopeless" rang in my head coincidentally the audio was playing the song "Faith in the Unseen". It struck me how we can actually tell others there is hope in Jesus Christ and share with them about finding hope in God when we ourselves do not even know what we are hoping for at times, or sometimes, appear and seem to be hopeless, demoralised, dejected.

Ever ask yourself what are you hoping for? What does hope really mean to you? Where is your hope? What is hope?

I was reminded of this passage in 2 Corinthians 4:7-18, a passage that I think is immaculately written and beaming with hope for the future glory.

"But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that his life may also be revealed in our mortal body. So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you.

It is written: “I believed; therefore I have spoken.”Since we have that same spirit of faith,we also believe and therefore speak, because we know that the one who raised the Lord Jesus from the dead will also raise us with Jesus and present us with you to himself. All this is for your benefit, so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God.

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

Astounding! My finite mind couldn't fathom and understand how on earth Paul can actually write this considering all that he had gone through - "I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with roads, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea. I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger from false brothers. I have laboured and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked....." 2 Corinthians 11

Speechless. Paul is not a superhero with some God-given supernatural ability. He is just a mere human with flesh and mortal body, once a great sinner, great prosecutor of the Churches of God. And wait, how on earth he can spell 2 Corinthians 4:7-18 even after he went through all those .... You are joking!

The power of Hope. "... And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." ~ Romans 5:3-5

"... But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently." ~ Romans 8:24-25

Therefore, in the midst of all uncertainty and turbulence, do not lose hope. Hope is what keeps you on track. Something great is awaiting those who are hopeful. God knows what we need even before we asked from Him, but we have to trust His timing and trust that He knows what is best for us.

If you ask me how certain is my future, I can't give you an answer. Ask my Driver. But I can tell you how certain my God is, how faithful He is and has been to me. Ask me about my life direction? Ha! I don't mind going anywhere, as long as I am walking with God, yet no place on earth is my home. I am heaven-bound yo! I can't lose hope, because I gotta bring this hope to those who are yet to know.

Hope in the Cross, have Faith in the Unseen. Read the Word, store it in our heart, and speak the Word over our life. Hope on.

No comments: