Dec 30, 2012

Share in Life


Year 2012 is winding up. Reckon most of us are reflecting on the past 364 days, 364 days of life breathed walking on this earth. Many are busy planning for the year ahead, resolutions, plans, strategies, bucket lists, etc.

For me, it has been a tough year, but undeniably the most happening year in my 23 years of journey thus far. I couldn’t pen down every single event, but surely there are ups and downs filling up my days. Certainly, it has been another good year walking with God. I am not ashamed being persistent in telling the world about this God that I believe in, because I believe everything in life revolves around Him, and is about Him. From the beginning of the world to the end of the world, He paints it and He has the full view of what is and will be to come. I have also tasted the wondrous love, goodness and faithfulness of God, especially how He has provided sustained me through my final year degree juggling with compulsory internship, a full ministry on campus to lead and take charge, lifegroup, church ministry, social life, family, etc… wow! It’s very surreal, but again, testimony is the most powerful tool of communication because what one goes through and experiences, can never be denied or overturned by another individual, that’s why, testimonies are crucial in court. :P

My life aside, how have yours been? Has life been tough, bittersweet, too wonderful? You see, we all have just one life to live on and the way we tailor our life is just very different to one another. We have our very own dreams, goals, determinations, plans and even motto that we live with. What is my cup of tea is most likely not yours. Despite all the differences, there is a God we all can get connected and related to. A God who have examined us and know all about us, who knows us when we sit down and when we get up, who knows our thoughts before we think them, who knows where we go and where we lie down, who knows thoroughly everything we do. A God that we can’t run away or hide from. Everywhere we go, He is there. But at the same time, a God who would guide us, holding us with His right hand through thick and thin, every season of life. 

In this last week of 2012, I had the opportunity to share about God with two friends that I have met recently (you might be reading this). I am actually quite amazed at the softness of their hearts and the eager desire wanting to know more and hear more about God, His business, Gospel and what Bible is all about. Very nice and genuine people. I tried to link the Scripture to our down to earth daily life, principles, rules of thumb, etc and I believe they got a fair share how the Scripture is immaculately related to our day to day life. Yet again and again I am bringing them back to the most crucial fact that regardless of all, God is our portion and He is enough. If you want to see God in every picture, in every facet of our life, you can actually see it as clear as you want if you have been intentional. Just as someone commented over the mass killing at Newtown, Connecticut, “Have we taken God out of the school?” A good question to us, “Have we taken God out of our life?” With a month left in Brisbane, I told these two friends in their eyes, “Even as I leave, my prayer is that both of you will sometime somehow receive this great Saviour into your life. If it doesn’t happen when I am still in Brisbane, I will surely rejoice when I get to hear about the good news, somewhere.” 

Today at church this young married man took to the stage and shared his testimony about how his grandpa has left a legacy in his life. His grandpa’s death has shaken him to ponder about life - what he is chasing after in his life. I am reminded again that we live to inspire others, not just in living a good life but to inspire others to pursue and love God. I really love what Pastor Stephen Altrogge posted on his Facebook earlier today – “The person who will be the greatest in the kingdom of heaven will probably be someone we’ve never heard of.” How true is that. A new year ahead, how are we determined to live it? For self-glory or sowing into the eternity? Just yesterday the world mourned the death of this 23 years old Indian female medical student who was a victim of a horrendous gang-raped incident. This incident not just stirred great anger from the public demanding the government to DO SOMETHING to protect the women in the society and look after their welfare, but also perhaps for many, where is justice? I have no answer. But one thing I am certain, God is watching and He will judge the rapists and killers in due time, for all will be held accountable on the judgment day. This incident is just a tiny tip of the iceberg of how sickening the world has become. 

As we gear up to welcome a new year ahead, be braced for both pleasant and unpleasant moments. Life will never be a bed of roses blossoming every day. Ecclesiastes said there is a season for everything. Things and people might change and fail. But we can find everlasting hope and love in Christ alone, who is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. If you know Jesus and believe in Him, He is with you and He will go before you. There you should know who goes before you and who is behind you. Ain’t that utmost comfort and heartening to dawn upon? I love this sharing from a dear brother. Many know the word “Immanuel” means “God is with us”. But when we ponder about it, it is just mind-blowing and incomprehensible that out of all the creations in this world, God CHOSE to live in us. Amazing? So praise and thank God for that! 

Allow me to say that “A fair share in life are mountain high and valley low moments, but a FULL share in life is to have God with us through those moments.” Lets welcome 2013 with renewed visions and perspectives, seeing things with the kingdom mind and eyes. Stop dwelling in the past, and move forward. As Paul famously wrote in Philippians 3:12-16, “Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” And when you are going through unfavourable moments, keep the Word of God close to your heart and find strength in it, that God’s promise preserves our life. 

To end, allow me to share with you my favourite quote of the year which I have written two months ago – “I may be physically barred from approaching God, even when my enemy is at its best, but as long as my soul has the teeny-weeny will to pray, I know heaven is within reach, and my God will vindicate me.” Live for Him, He will vindicate us! Look to Him, He will uphold us. 

Happy New Year to all.


No comments: