Jun 7, 2011

Conviction

What does conviction mean to you? What is conviction? Conviction means "the act or process of convincing", "the state of being convinced" or "a fixed or strong belief about something". It can also refer to "the state of being convicted of sin, or by one's conscience." Biblical Conviction means conviction or belief derived from and based on a commitment to Scripture, the Bible and the conviction affect him or her spiritually .

We need to be careful when differentiating generic conviction to biblical conviction. As a conviction is a convinced conscience, not all our conscience is flawless. Conscience is not a perfect indicator of right and wrong as our human conscience can be weak and defiled. Our convictions will not always agree because they are personal. However, if our convictions are grounded on the Scripture which is God breathed, our biblical convictions can guide us through many pitfalls in our life.

Conviction is nasty. Why is it so? Conviction can bring inconvenience at the time when convenience is most desirable. It can be troublesome as we are kind of being held back and unable to perform something. One's conviction can turn out to be a laughing stock of another person. Our conviction may not necessary be appreciated and valued by others. One's conviction can even cause misunderstanding between two parties.

Above all, conviction convinces us of our sin. It tells us the right and wrong. Everyone should have a set of personal biblical convictions in our journey with God. One who has no conviction is easily moved. When our conviction is challenged, our character is tested. Keeping and upholding a conviction isn't easy but as long as God is honoured, the soul is satisfied.

Our conviction should not be people-driven or environment-driven, but God-driven.

Along my journey so far, these are some of the convictions that I have carried and by God's grace, I will carry on... (Not in sequence)

1. I resolved not to speak any profanity.
2. I resolved that I will not skip/miss any Sabbath service as a result of my own agenda, God the priority.
3. I resolved to keep my virginity till marriage.

Some convictions I have adopted along the way through observation from others and as I am convinced by the teaching of the Scripture:

1. I resolved not to attempt illegal downloading.
2. I resolved not to purchase pirated goods.
3. I resolved not to jaywalk even though to my most inconvenience (when there is not even a car spotted). I rather wait.

I am convinced that little tiny things in my life that are not rightly upheld or practiced are the roots to bigger sins. I am still discovering many more convictions to uphold in my life.

So, how can we bring glory to God in every move that we make?

Do you have a conviction?

Interesting Thought:
1. Is there a testimony when we ran against the traffic or jaywalked as we rushed our way to arrive at certain destination for the purpose of serving God?

2. I download worship songs. I think God is pleased because I am a musician in church. I download for the glory of God.

So you think? :)


No comments: