Jun 11, 2011

The Greatest Comfort

The greatest comfort is not how much someone else can cheer us up when we are down in spirit, or how much someone can speak words of healing into our broken heart when we are hurt, or how thankful we are towards those angels who give us a hand us in times of our greatest predicament or when someone else willingly shares our worries and burdens. The greatest comfort is knowing that God Is With Us.

In many parts of the Book of Isaiah, the prophecy about Jesus is made known. In Chapter 7:14b, "The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel." Yes! Our King Jesus Christ is Immanuel. The name Immanuel as we know means "God is with us". It is to convince us that God is able to rescue us from the downfall of this world and from our enemies. I believe there is a significant purpose for God to name Jesus "Immanuel". Most of the names of the characters in the Bible come with their specific meaning and if we examine the story of each character, his or her name is closely related to the life and who he or she is going to be.

We can't rely on human strength because we are imperfect and fallible. But our God will never fail. He is everlasting from eternity to eternity and even when the whole world collapses, He is still who He is. Regardless of the situation we are going through right now, there is Hope in Jesus. Big or small, He can handle all.

Psalm 23 - A Psalm of David

1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,[a]
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.

The promise of God is that He is faithful and He will never leave those who love Him. In darkness or trial, His sovereignty rules.

Isaiah 59:1, "Surely the arm of the LORD is not too short to save, nor his ear too dull to hear."

Cry and look to the mountain, where our help comes from, knowing that our God is Immanuel.

To know the comfort, we need to know Him first.

No comments: